In honor of our Independence Day, I will be showing you how to make a coffee ice cream soda.
Ice cream soda is so refreshing and so American, perfect for celebrating the 4th of July!
The ice cream soda was invented by a soda fountain manufacturer named Robert McKay Green from Philadelphia, PA. Cream soda was popular at the time, made with carbonated water, cream, and syrup. The most popular was vanilla.
Green is said to have created it while a concessionaire at the 1874 Semicentennial Franklin Institute Exposition in Philadelphia. One story says he ran out of cream and used vanilla ice cream from a neighboring booth instead, but his own account records that it was more of a deliberate invention created to attract customers away from a much larger competitor. Sales soared and his treat made a big splash.
Two years later, fountain operators at the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia (the first official World’s Fair in the United States, commemorating the signing of the Declaration of Independence) gave many tourists their first taste of the beverage. Green’s ice cream soda became a hit around the world.
Coffee Ice Cream Soda Recipe:
10 oz mug/glass or larger
Ice cream scoop
A straw or two
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Corn syrup
- 2 oz cold brewed coffee concentrate
- 1 scoop of chocolate ice cream (about 4 oz)
- 4-6 oz cream soda
- Optional garnish: whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and/or coffee beans
1. Frost a mug in the freezer.
2. Decorate rim with chocolate sprinkles using corn syrup as “glue.”
3. Put leftover sprinkles at bottom of mug, if any.
4. Pour cold brewed coffee concentrate over sprinkles.
5. Add chocolate ice cream.
6. Pour cream soda to the top without spilling.
7. Optional garnish: whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and/or coffee beans.
8. Serve with tall spoon and straw(s).
9. Enjoy immediately.
Angela Greenberg is a Christian, a homeschooling mom of four, and a coffee lover. She roasts coffee as a hobby and loves learning about coffee. You can follow her on Twitter (@tazzadiluna).
This was my tenth post as a blogger for the Colorado Springs Independent newspaper. The original content was published here: [Video] How to make a Coffee Ice Cream Soda